Friday, January 29, 2010

Gallien's Decision

I believe Gallien opted to not call the authorities after he dropped off Chris because he is a tough guy from Alaska who probably wouldn't want someone to baby him if he was in Chris's position. He tried to warn Chris before he left but Chris was determined and there is not much anyone can do when a man has his mind made up like Chris did. He could have called the cops but he knew Chris would rather die than have the cops come and prevent him from what he needed to do. I am betting Gallien feels partly responsible now though and maybe in hindsight he would have done things differently. But I bet if he could talk to Chris today Chris would not be upset, he would not regret his decisions and he would hold himself completely responsible for his death.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed, totally agreed! I think that Gallien knew how set Chris was, Chris proved he was not "playing around" by sounding confident when Gallien questioned his necessities. And for now, I believe that Chris died with pride. I am guessing that maybe he wrote that note using his real name to let others know what he did, I think he wanted his story shared for people to learn about why he did it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the tough guy aspect of Gallien, it doesn't really seem to be his character to get in someone's way when he's dead set on it. You can tell he thinks Chris won't last though. As for Chris, I don't think he wanted to die, I think he just wanted to live the hard life, but I guess I''m only so many chapters in at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was no stopping Chris. He was on a mission. He knew his risk and didn’t care about the consequences. Gallen was a good man for even picking Chris up in the first place. He even offered supplies. There would have been very few people that would have called the police.

    ReplyDelete